Activities – Classification
Biorefining is the sustainable processing of biomass into a spectrum of marketable Biobased Products and Bioenergy
Biobased Products: chemicals & materials, but also human food & animal feed
Bioenergy: fuels, power and/or heat
In general both Energy-driven and Product-driven Biorefineries can be distinguished.
- Energy-driven Biorefineries
The main goal of EdBs is the production of one of more secondary energy carriers – fuels, power and/or heat – from biomass. Process residues are upgraded and valorised to Biobased Products to maximise the economic profitability of the full biomass-to-products chain.
- Product-driven Biorefineries
The main goal of PdBs is the production of one of more Biobased Products – chemicals, materials, food and/or feed – from biomass. Process residues are used for the production of Bioenergy for internal/external use to maximise the economic profitability of the full biomass-to-products chain.
IEA Bioenergy Task 42 deals with both EdBs and PdBs.
Classification System Biorefineries
- 23-08-10 International Conference on Polygeneration Strategies10 (ICPS) with Special Focus on Integrated Biorefineries 2010 Leipzig, Germany
- 23-08-10 Training Course Biorefinery
- 31-07-10 Europabio annouces top speaker
No events found.